Automatic updates of themes and plugins will be added in the upcoming WordPress 5.5 (major release of 2020). This should be a welcome addition for small websites with fewer plugins. However, for bigger websites with a lot of plugins and custom code – there needs to be an action plan to be “auto-updates ready”.
Also coming in WordPress 5.5 (Aug 2020)
- Better Blocks as Gutenberg 8.4 will become part of WP 5.5
- Sitemaps will be added to WP 5.5 (as of now SEO plugins handle this).
- Lazy loading to load images on scroll will be in WP 5.5 release.
Good WordPress bits for… 🤠
- Copy Paste pre-made Gutenberg Blocks? This sounds like a cool idea, well it is already a reality at Gutenberg Hub by Munir Kamal. Here is the video demo of this functionality.
- Display Instagram photos on a WordPress website, the new Spotlight plugin makes it very easy (and fancy). Plus, the lifetime offer makes this an attractive proposition for agency owners.
- How risky are a few specific WordPress plugins used by you? CodeRisk helps developers and users to assess the security risk of code. Here is the listing of plugins with their ratings.
- “On average, an Elementor add-on costs $26.4 annually for a single-site license.” This and many more interesting facts in the Elementor addons case study done by Ahfaz Ahmed.
- A car loan calculator made with Fluent Forms plugin. You can also download the JSON file to dig further and customize to build your own calculator application on the WordPress website.
Quick Bits 👍
- The global color palette added to Page Builder Framework Theme.
- Astra theme crossed 1 Million installs, celebrating with 25% off offer.
- WordCamp Europe (WCEU ) 2021 will be an online-only event.
- It is 4th year anniversary for Ultimate Addons for Beaver Builder.
- WPMRR Virtual Summit announced for monthly recurring revenue.
- Have you updated Breadcrumb List Schema on your website?
- And… these images make the 404 error page more interesting.
A profound thanks to the amazing response to the debut edition of ‘The WP Weekly’. Feel free to reach out to submit your awesome WordPress stuff and valuable feedback to make this WP Weekly endeavour even better.