“Just another WordPress site” this default title on a fresh WordPress install might be a thing of the past! Besides this, let’s get enlightened about WordPress i18n (internationalization), the importance of networking for selling, real winners in the page builders marathon, and more.
The WP Awards 2022 nominations update: it is closing on 100 nominations. If you have not, there is still time to submit your favorite WordPress product or service. The WP Awards 2022 is made possible by awesome gold sponsors: InMotion Hosting, StellarWP, 20i Hosting, Cloudways, and GoDaddy Pro.
↑ Community Sponsors supporting this weekly
What’s Buzzing in WordPress 💖
- Builders Bliss… check this community endeavor WP Builders Fight Club, which compares various page builders by creating the same design hosted on the same server. Read more about the Kadence entry in this challenge from David McCan. Also, in case you did not know – test drive flexbox containers in the Elementor builder.
- Building with Blocks… Brian Gardner explained how easy it is to create a split screen splash page using the block editor. Also, Rich Tabor elaborated on implementing fluid typography in WordPress Block Themes where font sizes adapt to changes in the screen size. The fluid typography support was added to Gutenberg 13.8 release.
- Big Updates… The Plus Addons for Gutenberg v1.4.0 plugin has added eight new blocks with likes of scroll animation, global tooltips, global floating effect, and a grid design layout tool. While the Fluent Forms 4.3.10 update has added integration for the Mailster newsletter plugin along with bulk filtering by category feature.
Extended WordPress Buzz 🔥
- Sad & Good Times… Desktop Server is closing while its users were waiting for the next big release – but alas! Read here the detailed announcement regarding this decision – I wish someone acquired it and took it forward, anyone? Keeping up with the good times is GoDaddy and its Q2 2022 results, with revenue up 9% year-over-year and net income up 93% year-over-year.
- Let’s Learn… about WordPress i18n (internationalization). Carrie Dils has an updated post explaining WordPress i18n in a nutshell and other important aspects to be aware of. Also, Chris Lubkert and Artur Grabowski from Extendify shared WordPress networking strategies for finding the best-fit buyer for your product or service.
- Coming in WP Core… the default “Just another WordPress site” tagline might be replaced with an empty string for new WordPress installations in the future. Also, the support for WebP image format by default merged into the core for WordPress 6.1 release.
- WP Perspectives… Sam Munoz highlighted much ignored yet important aspect of no code or low code contributions done by individuals in the WordPress ecosystem. Also, this time it is Josepha trying to connect the dots on the issue of the free rider problem in the open source world of WordPress.
- WordCamps Action… now available is the full schedule of the upcoming WordCamp US 2022 event spanning three days from Sep 9 – 11, 2022. Also, Matt Mullenweg is scheduled to speak at this event. While the WordCamp Asia 2023 team posted on the criterion for selecting sponsors for this event.
- Community Offers… Nexcess team has created eCommerce holiday survival guide, a free download for you to start prepping for Black Friday and the upcoming gifting holidays right now. While Spencer Forman has introduced LaunchKit solution using free WordPress plugins and themes for specific use cases like memberships, LMS, funnels, and more.
Quick Bits 👍
- Preview ‘in the making’ new design of WordPress org homepage.
- Peepso community plugin is working on integration with TutorLMS.
- Got noticed: GreenShift is a new page builder for Gutenberg users.
- The WordPress(org) website was down this week for some time.
- WordFest 2022 event, the call for speakers is open till Aug 15, 2022.
- Contest to win a giveaway from Cloudways & Visual Composer.
Fresh WP Plugins Stash of this week!
A few utility plugins for your attention like Add Customizer plugin by Kris Cochran adds back the customize option to the appearance menu, which is removed as a result of the ‘full site editing’ update.
Contact Form plugin’s addon like Gravity Forms Utility plugin feature collection of tools that makes your life easy when using Gravity Forms plugin. While Contact Form DB plugin allows you to store entries submitted via the Elementor form module in your dashboard.
↑ Community Sponsors supporting this weekly