This was a big week with a lot of big news for WordPress users. Besides the major release of WordPress 5.6 version, a few big news like Elementor launching the cloud version, WooCommerce acquiring another product, and the upcoming State of Word made an interesting mix.
New in WordPress 5.6 release 💖
- WordPress 5.6 “Simone”… named after the legendary performer Nina Simone is available for WordPress users. For me, the update went smooth without any issue. However, a few users did report minor issues. So, remember to take a back-up before the update.
- WP 5.6 added… blocks editor improvements, more block patterns, more PHP 8 support, better video captions, and REST API changes. If you notice any issue with the slider or a button is stuck, then try Enable jQuery Migrate Helper plugin for a quick fix (more info).
- Twenty Twenty-One… is the new theme in WordPress 5.6 release. It is a blank ‘no bloat’ canvas ideal for blocks editor user containing own block patterns, and a lot of other stuff you can dive into.
Extended WordPress Buzz 🔥
- Page Builders Buzz … Elementor cloud version is here, page builder with fully managed hosting. The announcement post share details of this launch and the future direction. While Oxygen builder has introduced composite elements feature which will be only available in their top agency version moving forward.
- In the News… WooCoomerce has acquired Mailpoet for better email marketing features in-house within the dashboard. If you had bought Mailpoet lifetime deal at Appsumo, it will be honoured. And, did you know WIX wanted to buy Elementor and missed it?
- Blocks Life… Stackable has added new UI Kits along with refreshed design library and other improvements. How did it go, when building the same website using Gutenberg and Elementor builder?
- Dev Focus… Iain Poulson explains the use of PhpStorm for WordPress development. Also, understanding the concept of cumulative layout shift, to avoid sudden layout shifts and for a better user experience.
Quick Bits 👍
- Unlimited manual schemas in new SEOpress 4.2 update.
- Migration from RankMath now available in Slim SEO plugin.
- Unlist plugin hides posts & pages from search (video).
- New Yoast SEO Podcast by Joost with the debut episode.
- The 2nd round of speakers announced for WordFest 2021.
- WordCamp India 2021, call for speakers till Dec 31, 2020.
- Full status check of Gutenberg’s full site editing feature.
- New major release of BuddyPress 7.0.0 Filippi is out.
- A new search engine You.com brewing to take on Google.
[WordPress 5.6] Application Passwords 💡
Application passwords feature in new WordPress 5.6 allows external applications to generate a password specific to that application and connect to your website. If you want to disable this feature, here are a few ways: disable it manually or use this plugin by Jeff Starr. Further, it will be disabled by default if you use a security solution like Wordfence, WebARX, Astra Security on your WordPress website.