Diverse viewpoints is a sign of a healthy community, like on the recent issue related to Elementor. Besides the WordPress community buzz, this issue covers new plugins, serving media files from the cloud, Woo extensions free model, inspiring WP stories, improving core web vitals, and more.
↑ Community Sponsors supporting this weekly
What’s Buzzing in WordPress 💖
- Useful Changes… WP Offload Media has added full Elementor support for faster Elementor websites by serving media files directly from cloud storage services like Google Cloud, Amazon S3, and more. Godaddy has made all (recently acquired) SkyVerge WooCommerce extensions (like these) free for GoDaddy eCommerce WordPress Hosting users.
- Plugins Stash… Joe Casabona created a new plugin that redirects /latest URL to the latest post on your website automatically. Chris Lema shared a similar plugin that even allows changing of /latest slug. While Vitaliy Kiyko shared about their relatively new Builderius website builder plugin and newly added GraphQL support.
- Don’t Forget… Elementor is switching to new (more expensive) plans, however, if you purchase before March 09, 2021 – you remain at the same pricing. The BackupBuddy lifetime plan won’t be available from March 31, 2021, onwards. Here is the last chance to grab it for a discounted price as it celebrates 11th birthday.
Extended WordPress Buzz 🔥
- It’s Personal… the face behind Astra theme and many other WordPress products, Sujay Pawar shared his inspiring story in the WordPress world. While Mark Zahra shared his experience highlighting the need for better enforcement of registered trademarks policy for use in plugin names and slugs.
- WP Ecosystem… Elementor got called out for using the “full site editing” keyword in ads. Fact is, you can build a full site with Elementor and “full site editing’ is not a trademarked word (or is it?). Eventually, it is good to have voices from both sides, a sign of a healthy, informed, and engaged WordPress community.
- Blocks Life… in WordPress 5.7 version, Gutenberg editor will replace Noto Serif font with the default system font for privacy and performance reasons. Gutenberg 10.1 is out with changes to reusable blocks and more. Interestingly, this update happens to improve core web vitals (and makes Gutenberg a speed champ?).
- Core Updates… WordPress 5.7 Release Candidate 3 is now available for testing and the final release of WordPress 5.7 is scheduled for March 9th 2021. Discussion if WordPress can now drop support for IE11 browser. Also, the interesting case of Gutenberg project with dual licensing under GNU General Public License v2 GPL and the Mozilla Public License v2.0.
Quick Bits 👍
- New off-screen sidebar feature introduced in Thrive Builder.
- Spotlight Instagram feed plugin crossed 10K active installs.
- Blocks plugin Stackable has crossed 40K install milestone.
- WP Trends is a new newsletter for WP business ecosystem.
- Another API option, should GraphQl API be in WordPress core?
- Matt Mullenweg tips for new founders, and the open-source.
- Free for Dev list services that offer free tiers for developers.
[Icons Bliss] on Google Fonts ✍️
Google Fonts now has a dedicated section for icons, and this opens up a new option for open source icons. Well, starting with 2000 material icons, it promises to add more icons on a regular basis. Watch out for icons bliss!