Google’s FLoC is still fresh in keeping users on either side of yes or no. Besides that, many fresh things in the WordPress ecosystem this week: like new plugins, Gravity Forms gets a big release, FSE progress in WP 5.8, possible sponsorship ban, future of themes with FSE, and some ‘weaks’ vs WordPress fun.
Sponsor slot is available for your WordPress product to directly reach the audience of freelancers, agency owners, and WordPress users.
↑ Community Sponsors supporting this weekly
What’s Buzzing in WordPress 💖
- Google FLoC… coverage last week brought up a lot of questions: what, why, enable or disable? First, Matt Mullenweg confirmed “WordPress hasn’t made any decisions or changes yet with regards to #FLoC”, there is only a proposal to block FLoC (for now). Second, check this article from the RunCloud website for understanding FLoC concept and how to opt out (if you want to).
- New Plugins… WP Shots plugin automatically adds screenshots to saved rows, columns, modules, and templates in the Beaver Builder plugin. While, Docket Cache plugin lets you handle WordPress Object Cache that is stored as plain PHP, an alternative for those who can not use Redis or Memcached server.
- It’s All-New…. the big Gravity Forms 2.5 release that introduces a new form builder inspired by the blocks editor is almost here. The rollout will happen in a staggered or phased manner. You can expect an update notification at some point from Apr 27, 2021.
Extended WordPress Buzz 🔥
- WP Ecosystem… will this cause friction in the WordPress ecosystem, as there are discussions to ban companies from sponsoring WordCamps that advertise competitively against WordPress. Also, Matt Mullenweg shared more about WIX mayhem and the fight against fake news at the wpmrr podcast with Joe Howard.
- Next Core Update… here are the next few steps and the updated schedule for full site editing in the upcoming WordPress 5.8 release. Also, will WordPress 5.8 release begin the process of radical or paradigm shift for the WordPress Themes ecosystem? Let’s see!
- Block plugins… ecosystem is growing and decision making is getting difficult. Here are top block plugins for Gutenberg blocks editor users (and of course Generate Blocks is my favorite). There are also block options for WooCommerce users.
- SEO Changes… Moz has announced a performance metrics suite that covers all three core web vitals metrics that are part of the upcoming Google’s Page Experience update, which has been pushed ahead for a gradual rollout starting in mid-June this year.
Quick Bits 👍
- Fun video from Astra team:
WIXWeaks vs WordPress – cool?
- RankMath SEO plugin is working on Divi Theme integration.
- AffiliateWP’s new affiliate portal for full-screen UI for affiliates.
- Learn: Load JS & CSS in WordPress using Advanced Scripts.
- Insights: Being obsessive with support for a 70% renewal rate!
- PDF: Security vulnerabilities in WordPress ecosystem 2020.
- It’s official, IE11 support will be removed in WordPress 5.8
[It’s Back] Page Builder Summit 2021 🥳
Last year, the 1st edition of the Page Builder Summit was amazing, to say the least. Being a page builder user myself, it was so cool to learn new things in the ecosystem and connect with new people. Page Builder Summit 2021 edition has been announced and will happen from May 10 – 14, 2021. Besides the popular page builders, the summit will also cover the new page building direction aka Gutenberg blocks editor. And, I am speaking again at the summit this year 😉
Also… in just a few hours from now Expand 2021 event by GoDaddy Pro kicks off. There is still time to grab your free ticket and access valuable sessions.