Get ready as the next big WordPress update, version 5.8 is almost here! Elementor continues the end-user focus with the new full website kits, a few new plugins for curious minds, acquisitions are still warm enough for a dedicated space, and thinking about the carbon footprint of the WordPress community.
↑ Community Sponsors supporting this weekly
Results: See 5 Winners of Fluent Forms Pro Giveaway! 🎉
What’s Buzzing in WordPress 💖
- Notable Updates… Elementor 3.3 is a big update with a lot of new things, like the launch of full website kits that allows you to create full websites in a few clicks, and this page design and flow – is impressive for sure! RankMath SEO plugin now lets you track both confirmed and unconfirmed Google Algorithm Updates. Here is the the full list of Google Updates covered in the process.
- New plugins… for Gutenberg block users, the new plugin by Christopher John, Wayfinder makes it super easy to find the type of block and its active class names. While Ashan Jay has released v2 of lifepress plugin to record and track events (and your life progress) in a calendar based layout on a WordPress website.
- Let’s Learn… in case the use page builders made you a little lazy, here is a refresher from David McCan for the old school way of modifying PHP templates for custom posts types and custom fields. Also, Winning WordPress Projects eBook by Mark Wilkinson is now available on pre-order that focus on how to win more projects, write better proposals and land more work.
Extended WordPress Buzz 🔥
- In the Business… AuthLab, the company behind WordPress plugins like FluentCRM has entered into a partnership to build a one-stop digital fundraising cloud-based SaaS solution. Automattic has acquired Pocket Casts podcast app, and to track all these changes – there is a new acquisitions tracker on the Post Status website.
- Almost here… the next big update, WordPress 5.8 is ready for general release on July 20, 2021, get ready! If you are a Genesis Framework user, then 3.4.4 update will handle the new block-based widget in WP 3.8 by disabling this feature by default with an option to enable it. Also, note WP 5.8 changes to the media library.
- Thinking Head… “contributing to Open Source is better than any college degree”, this ‘point of view’ generated a lot of buzz. Well, formal education still has its place – so, why not both! Also, does the WordPress community focus enough on climate energy and its carbon footprint? A valid reminder from Timi Wahalahti.
Quick Bits 👍
- PBF Theme (2.7) with more visual interface for mega menu.
- AutomatorWP, now easily migrate automations with URL only.
- Elementor Hub launch on July 19, 2021 with free virtual events.
- GamiPress points cards can redeem on physical commerces.
- Got your free ticket for WordFest 2021 (this week, Jul 23)?
- WooCommerce 3.3 to 5.5: Security alert, update immediately!
WP 5.9: Core Web Vitals improvment upto 33%
While we prepare for the next WordPress 5.8 release, details about the WordPress 5.9 are already emerging. WordPress 5.9 version promises to boost core web vitals from 10% to 33% through fine-tuning of the lazy-loading feature. So, instead of lazy loading every element, the proposal is to skip lazy loading of the first content image (like featured images) or content iframe for better overall LCP (Largest Contentful Paint) performance. More performance? Why not!