It’s December but things have not slowed down in the WordPress world. Ending big with big updates from Astra and Elementor, a new caching plugin, block theme generator tool and reviewing the WordPress Black Friday buzz and CMS market share analysis. Finally, note the date to see winners of ‘The WP Awards 2021’.
↑ Community Sponsors supporting this weekly
What’s Buzzing in WordPress 💖
- Big Updates… Starter Templates v3.0 from the Astra now come with a big feature addition of selecting colors, logo, and typography before importing any template and more powerful template search functionality. While Elementor has added a bunch of new features like progress tracker bar and fancy scroll snap for a cooler scrolling experience on your website layouts.
- New Launches… Konstantin Kovshenin has released a new caching plugin called Surge that comes with no configuration screen as plugin is designed to be simple ‘auto configuring’. Even Chris Lema mentioned about this promising new thing. While David Gwyer has a new block theme generator tool ready for your preview.
- Being Resourceful… check out Google Font’s Knowledge area with library of original guides on typography to match and discover best type with your purpose. And the Pantone color for the year 2022 has been announced, it is PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri – like it?
Extended WordPress Buzz 🔥
- WP Ecosystem… save time on your calendar for the State of the Word 2021 happening tomorrow, Dec 14, 2021, featuring keynote address by the WordPress project’s co-founder, Matt Mullenweg. Plus, follow Bob Dunn’s train adventure to this event. Also, WordPress 5.9 Beta 2 is now available for your testing featuring changes to the block editor and media component.
- Digging Deeper… Alex Denning reviewed WordPress Black Friday 2021 ecosystem highlighting the use of hello bars and countdown timers and no discount joy for existing users. While Joost de Valk published the new 6 monthly CMS market share analysis – yep, WordPress is huge but others like Shopify and Wix are also growing.
- Product Updates… Now you can raise funds with cryptocurrency on WordPress using GiveWP’s integration with Bitpay for accepting crypto donations with currencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Tether, Dogecoin, and more. Jetpack 10.4 has added functionality for easy re-sharing of posts Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and LinkedIn.
- Acquisition Train… Mailgun, an email transactional service popular among WordPress users has been acquired by Sinch but will remain as an independent brand under new ownership. The year 2021 saw a lot of activity in the acquisition space even among WordPress products, will 2022 be one level up? Let’s see!
Quick Bits 👍
- WP Rocket with impressive milestone of 2,000,000+ websites.
- Automator Pro 3.4 new triggers for WP Core, LifterLMS, & Woo.
- Weglot has added integration with Square Online eCommerce.
- SliceWP affiliate solution now integrates with Restrict Content Pro.
- OxyExtras with content timeline feature with scroll animation styles.
- Interesting: 57 SEO things by Google Search Advocate John Mueller.
Save the Date: The WP Awards 2021
A lot of you amazing people have messaged me asking – who won at ‘The WP Awards 2021‘? Save the date, Dec 16, 2021, Thursday – is when the full results will be published. You will receive a special email on Thursday with early heads up. Also, do check out The WP Awards 2021 sponsors making this all possible!