It is so cool when community members come together to fill gaps like with initiatives of community collective, certifyWP, and WP gives a hand. Also featured in this issue are updates from SEO and page builder plugins, product price changes, and the annual 2022 WordPress Survey.
As announced on Twitter, the voting was extended. The WP Awards 2022 voting finally close today in a few hours. If you haven’t voted – this is the last chance to vote at the 2022 edition! The WP Awards 2022 is made possible by awesome gold sponsors: InMotion Hosting, StellarWP, 20i Hosting, Cloudways, and GoDaddy Pro.
↑ Community Sponsors supporting this weekly
What’s Buzzing in WordPress 💖
- Community Initiatives… The WP Community Collective project is a new endeavor that aims to support and fund individual contributions and other community-based initiatives for the WordPress project. Also launching is the WordPress credentialing organization called CertifyWP by Talisha Lewallen, with prominent people from the WordPress community as board members.
- Price Changes… here is the last chance, as the Oxygen Builder lifetime plan is ending soon, including the ‘Oxygen + Breakdance’ option, which gives Oxygen lifetime and Breakdance one-year access. Also, since 2018 the cPanel prices have more than tripled – another price hike is coming on Dec 16, 2022. While Vultr has new simplified prices along with free 2TB bandwidth for existing users.
- Product Updates… WSForm has released integration for FunnelKit allowing submitted form data to be sent to FunnelKit for further automation. While AffiliateWP plugin has released 2.10.0 update that comes with more customizable block elements and with support for the new reCAPTCHA v3 anti-spam protection.
Extended WordPress Buzz 🔥
- SEO Plugin Updates… RankMath has added the HTML Sitemap feature to the free and pro versions allowing you to display the website sitemap in a visual (HTML) format on a specific page or manually using a shortcode. While the Yoast SEO plugin teased the upcoming ‘in the making’ new design of the Yoast SEO settings interface, available in the alpha release as for now.
- Page Builder Updates… Breakdance 1.1 update has added many new features like repeater field support, content toggle, scroll progress, and enhancements for WooCommerce users. While Oxygen Builder released the 4.2 version update with new features of unwrapped Code Blocks and auto unit swapping.
- WP Entrepreneurship… Joost de Valk and Marieke van de Rakt (original founders of Yoast, which was sold) have launched Emilia Capital as the home for their investments in various products like Atarim, Stratic, Extendify, and more. Also, with a focus on the enterprise WordPress community, the concept of the BigWP event is inspired by the spirit of WordCamps.
- WP Milestones… Kadence Theme has raced to the 200,000+ active installs milestone. David Vongries shared about the Ultimate Dashboard plugin crossing 40K+ active installs milestone. While Imran Siddiq’s Web Squadron Youtube channel has achieved impressive 13k subscribers. Also, the Do the Woo podcast is celebrating 300 episodes thanking all the hosts.
- WordCamps Action… the call for sponsors is now open for WordCamp Europe 2023, with availability between 80,000 € and 2,500 € priced packages. Also, round three of speakers was announced for the WordCamp Asia 2023 event.
Quick Bits 👍
- Let’s Connect: TheWPWeekly and me (Davinder), now on Tumblr!
- Wordle + WordPress = WordlePress game for devs by Ross Wintle.
- Pre-launch is open for Figma to WordPress course by Paul Charlton.
- Check this PHP developer’s guide to start with block development.
- Mustaasam has launched Host WP(.)io website hosting service.
- Being Colorful: Viva Magenta is Pantone’s 2023 color of the year.
WordPress Folks: Remember to participate in…
Don’t forget to participate in the annual WordPress Survey 2022 to share your experience of using WordPress and being a member of this vibrant WordPress community. Also, if you are a WordPress product creator, consider joining WPgivesahand endeavor this holiday season from Dec 19 to 25, 2022.
Before we say goodbye to 2022, there is one prominent virtual event for WordPress users. Registration is open, and the schedule is live for the Wordfest Live 2022 event, the festival of WordPress, scheduled for Dec 16, 2022.
↑ Community Sponsors supporting this weekly