Many thanks for the 2X readership, responses, and connections with the WordPress goodness at The WP Weekly in 2022 – you all are amazing! The newsletter will be back in 2023 – Happy Holidays!
This is the last issue of 2022 and is packed with many new plugin releases, product updates, and the ‘State of the Word’ 2022 highlights. Also, in case you missed it, check the detailed results of The WP Awards 2022 edition.
↑ Community Sponsors supporting this weekly
What’s Buzzing in WordPress 💖
- New Plugins… the WPManageNinja team behind products like FluentCRM and Fluent Forms has released a free FluentAuth plugin for authorization and security with features like 2FA, magic login via email, login redirects, social login, and more. While Joost de Valk has released XML Sitemap for PDFs addon for the Yoast SEO users.
- More New Plugins… CubeWP Forms is a new form plugin with 25+ custom fields type available for creating various types of forms. Also, the new VRTs plugin runs Visual Regression Tests to track unwanted visual changes by comparing screenshots at different times.
- New Launches… the inclusive language analysis feature of Yoast premium has been added to the Yoast free version allowing access to more people to create SEO content suitable for the wider audience. Also, Syed Balki’s team has launched the SendLayer service for more reliable email delivery for WordPress users.
Extended WordPress Buzz 🔥
- Product Updates… Elementor 3.9 has added a new save as default option for elements for a faster and more organized design workflow. While Advanced Custom Fields version 6.0.6 has improved the admin experience of flexible content layouts and performance improvements to the field group editor.
- WP Perspectives… Elon Musk bought Twitter, and Matt Mullenweg bought Tumblr – what are the similarities and learnings from the same? While Eric Karkovack highlighted on the next opportunities for WordPress innovation, is it creating a must-have block theme or something else – what do you think?
- WP Security… the team at Wordfence has launched the free vulnerability database service that is available for commercial use. while the team at WP White Security has shared the results of the WordPress administration survey 2022, 32% of users are doing weekly backups, and using a plugin for backups is still the top choice, followed by hosting provider backups.
- WP Milestones… the Fluid Checkout for WooCommerce free version has crossed the 7000+ active installs milestone and the pro version has added the edit cart at the checkout page feature. While Vito Peleg shared about Atarim hitting the 10,000 accounts milestone.
- Developer Focussed… Steve Burge has renamed PublishPress to the PublishPress Planner plugin to stand out better among the plugins with a similar name. While Mihai Iova has decided to merge all of the SliceWP add-ons into a single Pro plugin – good for sure!
Quick Bits 👍
- MetaBox has a new resources page listing related 3rd party tools.
- AI: Directory website made with Directorist using Bertha AI power.
- More AI: Gravity Forms submission data to interact with OpenAI.
- BuddyBoss blog has a new look with better content categorization.
- Interesting: See top plugins released in 2022 on WordPress ORG.
- 2022 Web Care Consultant Survey Results: $25 – $100 still popular.
- Participate in WordPress Maintenance Survey 2022 by ManageWP.
WordPress in 2022… State of the Word!
Interesting things at the ‘State of the Word’ address included a dedicated website for WordPress at 20 years and associated celebrations. The WordPress ORG website now has a showcase section featuring top websites powered by WordPress. Also, there is a new playground section to experience WordPress that runs entirely within the web browser.
Check the official post for the full video of the State of the Word 2022 address by Matt Mullenweg. For more coverage, check the recap by Matt Medeiros at The WP Minute and the follow-up discussion at the WP Watercooler featuring Jason Tucker, Sé Reed, Jason Cosper, and Courtney Robertson.
Good to Know… Upcoming Events & WordCamps
Tickets for the YoastCon 2023 event scheduled for May 10, 2023, are now available. While the Wordfest Live online event initially scheduled for Dec 16, 2022, has been postponed. Coming to WordCamps, the call for speakers is open for WordCamp Europe 2023. While the WordCamp US 2023 will be held at Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in National Harbor, Maryland, on August 24, 2023.
↑ Community Sponsors supporting this weekly
I wish you a wonderful 2023 with more success and happiness. See you again inside the email box and beyond in 2023. Also launching the Pluginsly project in Jan 2023, promising to spread WordPress Plugins goodness – watch out!